Re: Uniform processes and designs through an editorial guide

Subject: Re: Uniform processes and designs through an editorial guide
From: "Riese, Claudia" <CRiese -at- tunstall -dot- de>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2021 12:51:40 +0000

Hello Nina, hello Jim, hello everyone,

Thank you very much for your detailed comments.

Jim's experience on the subject of processes is very helpful.
>> One of the first things we did was to collect written processes ... from all facilities.
We then organized them in tables so that it was clear how each facility performed each process and what could be standardized.
This also highlighted those things which could not be standardized and allowed each local facility to have a clear understanding of how they would have to modify these "leftover" processes to integrate with the new corporate standards, as well as identify areas for future corporate standardization.<<
That sounds very logical, and that's exactly how I would start.

>>â, you will need to have high-level corporate AND local management support for this effort; it cannot be just the brain child of one person/group that happens to have some current visibility, else it is doomed. <<
I can also understand this tip very well and will take it to heart. It is good to consider this in advance.

Winston Churchill was probably right too:
>>"You can depend upon the Americans to do the right thing. But only after they have exhausted every other possibility." You can probably fill in the nationality to suit the situation...<<

Nina gives me confidence that I am on the right track with Confluence.
On this, perhaps a second question. A few people are currently building an intranet for the whole group of companies.
I have no experience with intranets. Is the intranet the right place for a technical writer's guide?

Nina points out the headings in the Technical Writerâs Guide.
Yes, I have already made the experience in other tools (also without any problems with the search function) that the informative value of the headings has to be good. Thanks for the tip.

>>It can be a good thing to not define *every little thing* in detail.<< Yes, thanks for that tip too. It also fits well with Jim's point about being very careful about guidelines for colleagues (in other locations).

It would be great if someone could give me an example table of contents that talks about processes, e.g. approval process, printing process, translation process.

Best
Claudia