RE: Tips to convert Google Docs into clean HTML?

Subject: RE: Tips to convert Google Docs into clean HTML?
From: Lin Laurie <linlaurie1 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Geoff Mann <geoff -dot- mann -at- uxwordsense -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2020 20:17:56 +0000

Last year, I had a huge project that they wanted written in Google docs (some of their existing docs were already in there and they wanted to move the topics into SalesForce. I kept asking to work on a PC but they wanted me to work on a Chromebook. There doesn't seem to be a way to take Google Docs and transfer them into HTML in a clean way.

The process they came up with was horrible and involved having to add code to share the files on the server or some such stuff. If you just copying and pasted the HTML into SF the links would break to images so we had to save them and the share them. It was truly the most convoluted process I ever saw.

IN the end, they had the PM take it over so I could just develop the documentation so I wrote for 6 mos and at the end of the project, they had 6 mos of Google Docs but no workable process to get them into SF. Then they laid off all the people on the project (bad sales figures) and never did get all the documentation I wrote into their new implementation. I felt so sick about it. It was such a waste of money and all it would have taken to make it work was a PC... One of the funny things was that after I was there a month, they started to allow PCs in the company, but not to me on that project.

I did enjoy the job and have great references and some good friends from working there, but what a sad story.

LMK if anyone finds a good process to convert from GD to HTML. I'd love to pass it on.

Lin Laurie
206.900.1861
www.linlaurie.com