RE: Content management

Subject: RE: Content management
From: "Marsh, Ed" <Ed -dot- Marsh -at- gs -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2020 21:43:50 +0000

We built our own DITA-to-Confluence workflow. I do not recommend it. It worked great for our needs but it was not easy to implement, and future versions of Confluence are removing WebDAV connectivity, which breaks our process.

We're now looking to migrate to DITA>GitLab>Hugo site generator.
Ed.
My complaint with Confluence is that it doesn't play well with DITA or other open formats AFIK.? I spoke with some Atlassian people at a show once, and they said they had no plans to support DITA.? This was a few years ago, but I haven't herd of anything new there.
I think there are competing issues here.? On the one hand, you want a system that is open to collaboration, and that can provide a single-pane-of-glass into your docs.? OTOH, you want a system that supports industrial-strength management of documentation source, and that is open to custom and/or 3rd-party tooling to process that source in different ways.? To date, most of the former solutions are monolithic silos...? Once your content is in there, you're stuck.? For us, that's a show stopper.? We rely on a process chain that supports re-branding, product "flavors", reuse, rapid deployment schedules, and a very small team.? No way can we hand everything over to a silo that insists on a specific editor or process flow.

SuiteSolutions looks like a management solution that is open (as in, works with open standards like DITA), and also provides the single-pane-of-glass.? I have looked at it a bit...? If I had the mandate to set up such a system, I believe I would lean strongly in that direction.? It is surely worth a look.? Note...? I am in no way affiliated.

Your Personal Data: We may collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal data, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to: www.gs.com/privacy-notices<http://www.gs.com/privacy-notices>
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com