Re: Software Release Notes

Subject: Re: Software Release Notes
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 09:02:02 +0000 (UTC)

We just put the word "Fixed:" in bold at the head of the description, and then describe the issue. For some issues it's not a fix, but an improvement. So we put "Improvement:" on those. We generate internal and external versions of the RNs... We definitely do NOT expose the bug numbers to customers, but if we have a customer issue we expose that number.Â

A pet peeve of mine is repeating a phrase over and over. "This is not fixed..." Yeech! If I could just use an icon instead of the word "Fixed", I would. At first I just put issues in the "Fixed" section and left it at that. Some people in the field asked for more, so now we give the prefix in bold. But as little as possible is my guideline for this sort of thing.
BTW, we use DITA, and track issues in Jira. We generate XML from the Jira query and transform that to DITA. The bug description holds markup, including notes, tables, or whatever... Actually producing the final output is very swift, which is neat. The time and effort are all centered on actually researching the issue and giving the right information. If anybody is interested in doing something similar, feel free to ask for more details...
cud

I have a question about resolved issues in RNs - is it correct to use the
following text in the Resolved Issues of a software release:

bug issue [bug number] *This is now fixed.*

Is it appropriate to use "This is now fixed" in the resolved section? My
take is that the issue is in the Resolved sections so I would automatically
know that the issue is fixed so why use "This is now fixed"?

Thanks,
Lucy
Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com