Re: Considering the STC summit in May

Subject: Re: Considering the STC summit in May
From: Kelly Smith <KellyMJSmith -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, mmcwrite -at- gmail -dot- com
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 09:28:43 -0500

Hi, Mary.

I've been to the last four STC Summits and I highly recommend it,
especially for a student!

The Summit has greatly expanded my knowledge of technical communication and
I now have a very large group of colleagues and friends who I can tap for a
variety of reasons. There is a structured speed networking event, but I've
never attended that. Mostly, I've met people by sitting with strangers
every morning at breakfast, and at the after-conference events.

Since joining STC in 2015, I've become membership manager for my local
chapter and newsletter editor for the Instructional Design and Learning
special interest group.

As for what to expect, they have educational sessions on a huge variety of
topics that can help you figure out what path you want to pursue in tech
comm. Almost everyone I've encountered has been friendly and helpful. There
is a mix of academics and industry professionals, so you get to meet people
from all facets of tech comm. If you choose to join the STC, we have a
student chapter and many opportunities for volunteering that can help
increase your contacts and provide experience.

If you'd like to chat off-list about it or get more information, please
email me! (KellyMJSmith -at- gmail -dot- com) I'd be happy to tell you more. And maybe
I'll see you in Denver!

Kelly Smith

-----
Hello everyone!

My name is Mary Campos and I am an English major at CSUN. I am considering
going to the Society for Technical Communication?s Summit in May. I just
have a few questions for anyone who has gone before as I am not sure what
to expect at this event. I would really like some insight on how to get
into the field, leads on where to intern, as well as networking
opportunities.

Are there good networking opportunities there?
What has been your experience if you have attended a prior STC summit?
What should I expect?
I am hoping that it will be a great learning and networking experience so
that when I graduate next year I won?t be spinning my wheels for a while
trying to get a job.

Even if you haven?t been to the STC summit any pointers or advice would be
appreciated! The sooner I start moving forward the better off I?ll be when
I graduate.

Thanks in advance!

Mary M. Campos
--