RE: Git for Tech Pubs [was FW: L@@king for recommendations for a doc source-file management system....]

Subject: RE: Git for Tech Pubs [was FW: L@@king for recommendations for a doc source-file management system....]
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Mark Giffin <mgiffin -at- earthlink -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 19:03:39 +0000

Robert F.'s reply sounds hopeful.

Mark, to answer your original question (and thanks for all the details), we have a combination of Flare projects with lots of graphics (we're using centralized source control), FrameMaker files, Word, InDesign, and then the various image file formats, PNG/JPG/GIF/BMP/TIF, plus image source files in AI, PSD, INDD, etc., plus PDFs and more.

Lots of binary stuff, I guess.

Also might be adding videos.

The thing that baffles me is that the Flare folks seem to be moving toward Git. Their cloud-based manager (Central) uses Git. Maybe I should ask them. I just can't help thinking that, as Tony says, these repos are just going to become bloated with image files and such. The image I have is of 5 or 6 writers (or more) carrying around this massive repo on their desktops. Maybe I just don't see it right.

We have been doing some work with Git but not as the main source control for major projects.

Thoughts are most welcome. I need to dig into this more if there's a chance we can use it as our go-to solution.

Thanks,

Steve

On Wednesday, November 21, 2018 9:52 AM, Mark Giffin wrote:

You don't lock files in git. It's a different philosophy of source control. With git the focus is on merging when there are conflicts, or using "rebase" or other methods. If you have lots of people working on the same file at the same time, you might be able to make it work in git, but you might want to just stick with something where you can lock files, like Subversion. Or refactor your files so you are not all working on the same file at once. (Many working on the same file at once does not sound like a best practice.)

I'm assuming you're using a text-based format. But if you're using something like binary FrameMaker files, you probably need to lock files.
You can't merge binary files.

Mark Giffin
Mark Giffin Consulting, Inc.
http://www.markgiffin.com/