Re: verb to noun: cool or incorrect?

Subject: Re: verb to noun: cool or incorrect?
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 17:46:21 -0700

Oh, my crackers!!! I began my response and then read the responses in this thread. Most are wrong! A quick web search of âprosecution spendâ shows what it is. Add a few keywords of intellectual property and patent prosecution to get a few more results. I think there should be a rule of ethics that writers should check facts before giving writing advice.

It isnât âspendâ as a noun, itâs âprosecution spendâ and it has to do with the cost of pursuing patents. If it is changed to âspending,â it will not fit with IP industry standard and could be a red flag on a rÃsumà since the phrase would no longer make sense.

In the quoted sentence, the ampersand gives me grief; the industry term is appropriate, especially within the context of reducing a specific type of troubling cost. If someone is applying for a job in patent management and they have this skill, then I would want to learn more about what they do to reduce prosecution spend.

Whatever you do, donât change the phrase âprosecution spendâ or argue against it. Itâs an industry cost and anyone associated with patents or otherwise involved in intellectual property should know that.

I had a similar editorial âcorrectionâ in a recent position writing several rÃsumÃs. One rÃsumà was for a lawyer working in technology. One of the IT business analysts changed the lawyerâs degree on the rÃsumà to âJuris Doctorate.â The law degree is a doctorate degree but it is called a âJuris Doctor.â

I think it is important to understand the industry you are writing about before making editorial changes to what could be industry terms.

~Lauren~

On 10/24/2018 6:36 AM, Erika Yanovich wrote:

I just read this sentence and the usage of "spend" as a noun felt weird. Is this the new cool thing or just plain incorrect or both?

I help intellectual property managers to reduce their global patent prosecution spend & add value to their business

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com