Looking for classes in indexing

Subject: Looking for classes in indexing
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 11:51:18 -0400

My employer has decided that everyone in the company should be able to get
job-related training, and me and my fellow tech writer have been told to
find something to learn. Since indexes are something we're supposed to do
and neither of us has experience with it, I thought that might be a good
skill to learn and I'm hoping for recommendations.

I've got a couple of books on indexing (Larry Bonura's The Art of Indexing
and Kurt Ament's Indexing: A Nuts-and-Bolts Guide for Technical Writers),
but I think as rank newbies we would benefit from some actual classes.

I am not really interested in joining the ASI just to get access to what
appears to be an excellent set of webinars; indexing is an adjunct to our
job, not its focus. (Annoyingly, the Google blip says that STC members can
get it at a discount, but I've found no way for STC members who are not ASI
members to get the course.)

The STC doesn't appear to be running its 2-day "Indexing Skills for
Technical Communicators" indexing course anytime soon, either.

So, any recommendations? There's only two of us, so having someone come in
to train is probably too expensive (small company, you know?).

--
Lin Sims