Re: [CE-L] Usage: Changing a tire or changing a wheel

Subject: Re: [CE-L] Usage: Changing a tire or changing a wheel
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 10:17:50 -0700

As far as I can tell, this response on techwr-l was to a post on ce-l. While the OP may not be a part of this list, the discussion is still interesting in that it raises regional and international issues.

Any writer writing for a specific region should account for the readership, rather than personal preference. Editors sometimes must naturalize the writing of a document prepared by international writers. I once edited a large document with writers from seven countries. I learned about international writing styles.

In the this discussion, changing a wheel when the "tyre" goes flat in the U.S. is to change the tire. Yes, the wheel is being changed but the reason for the changing is the tire because a fresh tire needs to be on the vehicle and not a fresh wheel.

As far as "chatty" goes, I have noticed a chatty style in British writing. Usually, I see this when I looking for a recipe online. While Americans tend to write lengthy and pointless essays about why they chose a recipe, the recipes are usually brief. British recipes sometimes have a lot of chit-chat in the recipe directions with imprecise instructions.

Sometimes a narrative is helpful to make something foreign become familiar, other times narrative is distracting and tiring to the reader. Writing that is too dry can get alienating or seem vague if the subject matter is too foreign.

All things should be considered but the needs of the audience need to control the writing style. Perhaps a set of writing guidelines would help. Guidelines could emphasize the importance of writing for an American audience and avoiding excessive narratives and discussion. Not that your English author will follow them but the guidelines will give you something to reference when discussing issues like how to write changing a wheel when the "tyre" is flat.

On 6/20/2018 6:52 AM, Chris Morton wrote:

I've always changed a tire if it went flat. The only time I ever changed
wheels was when I wanted to mount some sporty-looking ones to replace the
plain-jane ones that came from the factory.

*From:* levi bookin <levi -dot- bookin -at- gmail -dot- com>

Author is English, but is writing for an American readership, although he
does not take such details into consideration.

While contemplating the word "tyre," it occurred to me that drivers do not
change a tire, they change a wheel.

The style of the book is fairly chatty. Am I being too pedantic?