Re: dealing with inflated ego

Subject: Re: dealing with inflated ego
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 12:27:28 -0700

I would avoid saying on a searchable public forum that my client has an "inflated ego," engages in "control-freak meddling," and is not "in their right mind." I would also avoid suggesting passive-aggressive responses like saying someone should "Start dissecting the comments in his code." Or saying, "Thanks, but I only need you to comment on instances of incorrect or incomplete information.... you don't need to worry about punctuation style issues... that's my job." Or saying, "I can get rid of those periods if you want. You're the boss. But, if someone comes along and questions it, I don't have anything to defend the action. Your call."

As a general inquiry to the list, why are there so many passive-aggressive and emotional responses to this situation? This subject of dealing with different writing styles escalated quickly into an odd sense of technical writer superiority over clients and their audiences. E.g., What technical writer in their right mind would get an inflated ego to engage control-freak meddling and start dissecting comments on punctuation style issues and tell their clients they should only comment on instances of incorrect or incomplete information because the technical writer won't defend the action of changing the writing to suit "the boss"? Does the 55 word question feel good? Will clients who may be mentioned in the technical writers' profiles appreciate such characterization?