Re: Screen capture and simple graphic editing tool. And finding our which tool was used to create a graphic

Subject: Re: Screen capture and simple graphic editing tool. And finding our which tool was used to create a graphic
From: Chris Morton <chris -at- isntthatwrite -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 05:17:11 -0400

Note that Windows ships with a Steps Recorder that may be of some use.

For screenshots, I got a lot of mileage from the open source Greenshot,
which is somewhat akin to SnagIt.

I use GIMP (also open source) for photo knockouts; although I do it
manually point-by-point, I've found it far more straightforward than
Photoshop's process.

I'm very adept at using Windows Paint to fudge a lot of stuff.

ColorPix is a useful free utility for determining the color of anything
onscreen. It provides RGB, hex, and CMYK values. Speaking of color, this is
sometimes useful: https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp

And believe it or not, I still get a lot out of an old copy of CorelDRAW!
that a former employer purchased for me. I like it because it does what I
need to do... no muss, no fuss, no chocolate mess.

Yes, I use PowerPoint for ad hoc items, such as quickly (operative word)
creating a rectangular section header having a graduated background. And if
you don't have access to Visio (I do), PowerPoint is easy to use for
diagrams. I'll sometimes create something in PowerPoint, enlarge it
fullscreen on my 24" monitor, then use Greenshot to nab it.

It's all about quick 'n' dirty for me (as *Whatever Gets You Through the
Night* plays in my head).

Once in a blue moon when I'm wearing purple socks and listening to Rahsaan
Roland Kirk backwards, I fire up Illustrator for something.

FYI, MS Office XML files (DOCX, et al.) are nothing more than containers
that can be unzipped. So if someone gives you a DOCX with an embedded
graphic you need to alter in some way, simply use your unzipping tool to
deconstruct the DOCX container.

Chris Morton
518/310-6628
(click logo â for details)