Re: tech doc - training cooperation

Subject: Re: tech doc - training cooperation
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2018 10:39:50 +0000 (UTC)

I originally thought this was out of scope for your question. I remember seeing slides presented by VMware at some conference (I didn't see the presentation) that covered transforming DITA to generate slides. I believe the slide technology they used is reveal.js.Â
https://revealjs.com/#/

I keep telling myself that I'll figure out how to do this in my spare time.Â

cud

------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 20:27:03 +0100
From: Robert Fekete <fekete77 -dot- robert -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>
Cc: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Hi Erika,

I think the trick here is to find a way to mark up parts of the docs to
appear somehow as slides. I can think of two ways to achieve this:
- One is to use a kind of strict template, for example, one where every
topic has an outline that is then extracted from the doc and converted into
slides, and the other parts of the doc come after that. That might not do
too much for deduplication, but at least it's singlesourcing.
- The other approach would be to explicitly mark up the things that should
appear on the slides, for example, if you are using an XML document that
consists of <paragraph> tags, you could add an attribute to the ones that
go into the slides (<paragraph output="slide">). Obviously, you need to
find a way after that to extract the marked up parts, split the content
into actual slides, and create the output presentation.

Note that this is mostly theoretical, I am not aware of any system that
actually supports it, though I know that Docbook has a markup for slides
(never used it though), and I have also seen Markdown+javascript systems
that create html presentations from plain text (for example, this might be
useful once you have already extracted the content from the main docs, and
need a way to convert it into a presentation.)

HTH,

Robert