RE: Using Word as an Authoring System

Subject: RE: Using Word as an Authoring System
From: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>
To: "'TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 07:53:48 +0000

Agreed. Lock down the template.

If you have resources, beef up the template with a ribbon tab for your styles only. We have buttons for all paragraph styles and buttons that insert tables and graphics with captions and apply the approved styles. You can also program Word to intercept buttons on the Home tab and apply your styles for bullets, numbering, and the like. Another button links to our style guide and help for using the template.

We added a dialog box that serves as an input form for header and footer data. Menu items insert our standard cover, copyright information, and other front matter. Since we are international, we also have a toggle function that changes between A4 and Letter page formats without affecting pagination, so you don't have to update TOC, etc. when you switch between the two.

Don't underestimate Word. But also don't underestimate the potential frustration with it.

tims