Re: Resume Writing Part 2

Subject: Re: Resume Writing Part 2
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 08:49:56 -0500

>Will need to bone up on my design skills, however.

Last summer, at my previous job that was rapidly growing and doing a lot of
hiring we had a discussion about some of the most ridiculous resumes that
had crossed our desks. Several of us shared some examples during the
discussion. Almost all of them included what I might term "design."

Stick with one or two common fonts, a traditional easy-to-scan format, and
skip the fancy designs. To date the worst resumes I've seen have been the
ones who seemed to be trying to dress up a lack of marketable skills with
fancy or non-traditional design. (No, I don't care that your hobbies
include collecting rocks or what your favorite styles of music are, what
useful skills do you have to contribute to this job?)

On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Cardimon, Craig <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
wrote:

> Remember the person who said they wanted me to help them with their resume?
>
> Well, they finally sent it to me. I guess they're serious.
>
> I figure I will read it through this weekend, then create a list of
> follow-up questions.
>
> I will arrange a time for a phone interview, and ask them describe their
> accomplishments, hard skills, soft skills, and so forth, in their own
> words, without reading from their resume.
>
> I am hoping to glean enough information from the phone interview to
> rebuild the resume. Maybe even redesign it from the ground up. Will need to
> bone up on my design skills, however.
>
> Do you folks have any other suggestions for me on this?
>

> Cordially,
> Craig Cardimon | Senior Technical Writer
>

> Information contained in this e-mail transmission is privileged and
> confidential. If you are not the intended recipient of this email, do not
> read, distribute or reproduce this transmission (including any
> attachments). If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately
> notify the sender by telephone or email reply.
> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Julie Stickler