Re: BIZ: Dealing with price resistance?

Subject: Re: BIZ: Dealing with price resistance?
From: Ashley York <a -dot- york -at- manitou-group -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 17:16:00 -0500

I know Chris has already responded to Jeannie, but I'd like to throw an
alternative viewpoint into the mix in case it helps inform anyone's opinion
or future actions.

We can fall into a trap if we view an uninformed prospect as inherently
negative/risky/problematic. Speaking from experience with startups and
other focused companies, an uninformed prospect could actually be a
goldmine.

Prior to April, I spent 2 years in the private equity industry. In an
office of 6 people running 7 different companies, I was the only guy who
didn't have a finance/accounting/sales background. I was responsible for
almost all of our IT, process development, continuous improvement, software
development, marketing/branding, troubleshooting, technical sales, project
management, proposal writing, and any other technical competencies. I
enjoyed wearing many hats, and I got a unique view into companies and
organizations of all sizes and types.

You can probably guess that the executives within my company were fairly
naive when it came to matters like documentation. We worked with a number
of small companies and startups, many with leaders who had a similar lack
of understanding of technical topics. Like me, they were forced to wear
many hats, but they were rarely properly equipped for most of said headwear.

I imagine these people would respond much like Jeannie if put in her shoes,
but it's not for a lack of intelligence or understanding. They have no
frame of reference whatsoever, and they're doing their best to get by in
whatever role has been foisted upon them. With a little bit of education,
they can quickly become knowledgeable consumers and strong advocates for
you.

That doesn't mean you waste time where it won't pay off, commit to a
project you simply don't have time for, or lower your rates and take a
loss. It means you may have a unique opportunity. Here are some
suggestions I would make:

- Be clear about what you are proposing. Make it clear that you can't
go lower because you need time for specific phases of work. Identify risks
that could arise. In short, give her the details behind the bottom line.
People in a role like this typically understand that you get what you pay
for, so tell her what she's paying for.
- Identify the benefits you can provide beyond the bottom line. Often,
people in this situation are looking for long-term partnerships, unique
billing arrangements, or other special considerations. There may be
factors that will sway her to pay you more because you fit with their
strategy.
- Propose alternative solutions and additional resources. She may not
be overly set on any one deliverable or process, and you could spark
interest that wasn't already there.
- Establish the ground rules moving forward, as has been said in this
conversation. Tell her when the best timeframe to get a quote is, what
information will help you give her the best quote, how long it will take to
turn the quote around, and what range of services you provide in detail.
Let her know how cost changes if she requests a quote sooner or later. If
she was completely oblivious to technical documentation before now, she
would likely appreciate this clear approach.
- Establish yourself as a subject matter expert for her. This follows
with everything else here, but it's worth pointing out from a big-picture
perspective. She would likely be relieved to have someone knowledgeable
she could hand this stuff off to. If she comes to view you as her de facto
technical writing "department" you may get the type of sticky,
no-saleswork-required revenue that jacks up your efficiency.

These things take a little extra time, but they can pay dividends if her
company/work/industry are strategically important to you. Not only do they
increase the likelihood of securing a fresh project, they will cement your
place in her mind as the one to turn to if/when the writer she chose for
this project falls on their face.

People who don't know often make bad decisions. On the other hand,
successful entrepreneurs tend to know what they they don't know. Those
types of folks actually provide significant positive opportunity.

Ashley York