Re: Context sensitive pop-ups (yehoshua paul)

Subject: Re: Context sensitive pop-ups (yehoshua paul)
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2017 10:13:40 -0700

Around ten years ago Eclipse Help introduced an option to have CSH
calls pop up a box with multiple link choices.

After playing around with it I decided it was more user-friendly to
have the CSH call open what seemed like the most likely topic and have
links to other likely topics there, since such links can be useful
whether the user is reading the topic in the online help, a PDF, a web
site, or some other format, and whether they arrive at the topic
through a CSH call or a link from another topic.

I had some technical issues with multiple-choice popups as well:

1. They were not supported by single-source tools.

2. They were not supported by the standard CSH header (map) files we were using.

3. They were not supported by all frameworks, so migrating from
Eclipse to some other framework could be problematic.