Re: ToC and/or bookmarks in PDF

Subject: Re: ToC and/or bookmarks in PDF
From: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2017 09:11:06 -0400

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 9:07 AM, Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks so much for getting back to me on this.
> >
> > Over 1,000 pages? Those are HUGE manuals!
> > **Yes!
> >
> > I imagine that manually creating TOCs with links would be a huge amount
of work.
> > **about 2 days every time the manual is updated
> >
> > If you don't mind my asking, what type of products are the manuals
documenting, that they are so big?
> > **Complex telecom equipment
> >
> > Would it be possible to break the content up into separate docs that
would both make it easier for users to navigate through the content and
allow you to generate TOCs?
> > **Possible - yes, effective - doubtful.
>
> > Users will never be sure in which manual to look for a piece of
information, they will need to open and search more than one.

See below. It bounce don me before because I incldued the whole section on
making an index. Too large a message. This should get you rolling. It was
from here, part way down the page:
https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/creating-pdf-indexes.html

> Erika,
>
> Having managed a doc set for a single large product before, with over 100
separate guides totaling into the thousands of pages, I used to provide
something that you might wish to consider: An Adobe "Catalog" Index of your
completed PDF manual. It takes only a few minutes to generate, so is easy.
One then opens the .pdx file and enters a search string in the search box.
The results will show you the hits in context, so that you can see if it is
really the instance that you want to see, then click and you are brought to
that page. It is a really fantastic tool for the user of large doc sets
that is easy to provide.

> Bob
>
> Create an index for a collection (Acrobat Pro)
>
> When you build a new index, Acrobat creates a file with the .pdx
extension and a new support folder, which contains one or more files with
.idx extensions. The IDX files contain the index entries. All of these
files must be available to users who want to search the index.