Re: Windows VM on Mac ?

Subject: Re: Windows VM on Mac ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 11:08:26 -0700

I've had keyboard mapping problems with every operating system I've
run in VirtualBox. What keyboard do you have selected in Windows? To
troubleshoot, it's helpful to find a utility in the guest OS that
displays a representation of the keyboard including modifier keys.
Then you can see if it's just a bug and NumLk isn't being mapped.

Here's my actual keyboard:
ïhttp://www.apple.com/shop/product/MB110LL/B/apple-keyboard-with-numeric-keypad-us-english.

I tried "installing" the Mac keyboard per this article: ïhttp://www.expertreviews.co.uk/pcs/1400089/how-to-use-a-mac-keyboard-on-windows. I didn't bother with steps 3 and 4 because I don't care about those keys, but I suspect I must need something analogous for the keys that I do care about.

But even after getting all the Settings and Control Panel items to be as the article describes, the Keyboard Properties for Windows 10 still show "Standard PS/2 Keyboard". I tried to add a device, but nothing was found. So I don't think I've fully added the new driver to the system even though the new keyboard is configured through all the language settings.

Interestingly, the keyboard's numeric keys are all recognized by the Windows 7 machine on which I'm now typing! So it seems to definitely be a VirtualBox issue, not something inherent in the keyboard or Windows native understanding of it.

When I select VirtualBox > Input > Keyboard > Keyboard Settings, the Virtual Machine tab shows a table of Name and Shortcut columns. It's here that I can assign shortcuts to things such as "Auto-resize Guest Display", Insert Ctrl-Alt-Del, Insert Ctrl-Break, but nothing that seems related to Numlock. And indeed, there is not a numlock key on this keyboard. It has a "pod" of the numeric keys, and a separate "pod" of function/home/page up/down/etc. keys instead of needing a numlock key to enable double-duty of the same physical keys.

-Monique