RE: where to hyphenate: non-native-English-speaking ?

Subject: RE: where to hyphenate: non-native-English-speaking ?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 18:48:02 +0000

That was first thought but then got stuck on whether you meant the whole dev team or just part, and also whether "second" was accurate.

But it conveys the right spirit.

Your version and the formal version are both correct.

Steve

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 5:47 PM, Monique Semp wrote:

>Is there a separate development team composed only of
>non-native-English speakers?
>Otherwise you might try, "My initial source material was a Word
>document authored by the non-native-English speakers on the development
>team." (Or maybe remove the first "the.") Or is the entire development
>team composed of non-native-English speakers?
>The three-hyphen string looks technically correct at first but it's
>actually modifying "development team."

An offlist reply supplied a very elegant rewrite that I've gone with, "...
the Development team, for whom English is a second language."

I think the three-hyphen version is correct for what I meant: the entire dev team was in Asia, and English was a 2nd (or 3rd) language for everybody.
Email exchanges were a challenge, and the time zone difference made scheduling calls difficult. But it was a wonderful team to work with, and they cared much more than most dev teams (regardless of location/language) about making sure that the docs were correct and reflected well on their work :-).

-Monique