Re: IBM is having a Yahoo moment: No more working from home

Subject: Re: IBM is having a Yahoo moment: No more working from home
From: Rick Lippincott <rjl6955 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 13:28:02 -0500

The thing I find most interesting about this trend toward open office areas
is that it seems we've forgotten the past. For decades, open office was
standard practice for many companies with engineering staffs, and my
recollection is that things started changing in the 1980s. Mid '80s, I was
working at a firm where the transition had started, the engineers were all
at huge open areas, literally stretching hundreds of yards, just rows and
rows of drafting tables. (Writers were in the same arrangement, but not
quite as much space needed.)

The 1987 date on that book about the advantages is telling, that was when
the transition was going on.

Companies spent the money to go from open space to cubicles because it
worked, and it was an improvement. If it hadn't been, the idea would have
died an early death, and been gone by the early '90s.

But now, people are saying that cubicles are bad, open space is good.

OK.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." -- George
Santayana

--Rick Lippincott