RE: General writing question

Subject: RE: General writing question
From: "Martinek, Carla" <CMartinek -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2017 15:40:43 +0000

What I learned eons ago was that Europe migrated earlier towards Sans Serif fonts, while the US clung to the old reliable TNR. Readibility wasn't so much the issue as it being "what you were used to." In today's modern digital world, Sans Serif fonts dominate the online world. That comfort/used to it issue is long since gone for most people.

That said... an easy option to go all Sans Serif without out figuring out which fonts you can pair together is to use variations from the same type family. With Arial, you have the options of Narrow, Bold, Black, Rounded, etc.

With Proxima Nova (I especially like this font, available through Adobe - https://typekit.com/fonts/proxima-nova), you have all the styles such as Thin, Thin Italic, Light, Light Italic, Regular, Regular Italic, Medium, Medium Italic, Semibold, Semibold Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, Extrabold, Extrabold Italic, Black, Black Italic.
Then there's Proxima Nova Condensed. And Proxima Nova Extra Condensed, Proxima Nova Soft, and Proxima Nova S (Small Caps), also with multiple weights and styles.

A bold condensed font, a Black version, or a Small Caps font can work well in headings, and be enough of a difference from the body text to work well.

You can also use a different color on the headings... or if printing in b/w, you can reverse headings out with a shaded gray background behind them. Or underline the headings.

With that many options (and Proxima Nova is only one example of a font with many variations), you should be able to figure out something.

-Carla