Capitalizing product names of product features

Subject: Capitalizing product names of product features
From: "Karen Gwynn" <kwgwynn -at- att -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 09:34:36 -0500

The names of many of the features in the web-based product I am documenting
are similar the words I am using to describe functionality. My style guide
indicates that when describing a feature the feature's name is capitalized
("Enter the primary contact email address in the Email Address field"). But
when I'm talking about the feature and all the things it can do, do I
continue to capitalize the term? ("this email address is the one the ABC
system uses to ...." or "this Email Address ...."). The situation is very
prevalent through the document I am writing as I describe interrelated
features, how to set them up, how they interact, etc. Another example: "When
you set permissions for creating definitions, you define them by functional
area" -- not a very good sentence, but "permissions", "definitions", and
"functional areas" are all things with this system.

I'd like to know how others handle the names of features in their
documentation.

Karen W. Gwynn

404-435-9975

kwgwynn -at- att -dot- net