Re: Interesting job description

Subject: Re: Interesting job description
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com, 'Keith Hood' <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2016 13:32:15 -0700

One of the upsides of the matrix org structure for tech pubs is that when a product has bombed, I have more often than not been able to avoid or minimize headcount loss by arguing that we now need to do a better than ever job of improving the "user experience" for that "next big thing bacon saver" and reassign the writer/s from the bombed product to its development.

Of course, when the time comes that the company realizes it's about to run out of bacon to try to save, there's not much that can be done.

Always keep your own freezer well-stocked.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 10/8/2016 1:21 PM, mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com wrote:

Yes, that is exactly the pattern I have seen as well. And I have been on
both sides of the retention decision.

And this just reinforces the point about the value of corporate knowledge.
When a product bombs, that devalues the knowledge of everyone who worked on
it. The company no longer needs to remember how it works or how it was
built. It can dispose of that knowledge, and the heads that contain, it
without long-term consequences.