RE: Online help access question

Subject: RE: Online help access question
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Robart, Kay'" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- texas -dot- gov>, "'John G'" <john -at- garisons -dot- com>, "'Suzette Leeming'" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2016 16:26:10 -0400

I think it is important to make a distinction between the ease of use of the
knowledgebase system itself and the suitability of the content for
presentation in that format. One of the key points of my Every Page is Page
One idea is that we have to write content so that it works in a search-based
environment. Unfortunately, most of the content that gets put in
knowledgebase systems is not written to work well in a search-based
environment. It does consolidate the material that serves a particular user
purpose, it does not establish its context well, so that it is easy to
identify the right article in search results, and it does not link richly to
related topics to allow users to navigate the last mile.

One example I like to give is of a company that makes backup software. They
were having problems with people finding information in their knowledgebase.
I did the most obvious search possible for such software: "<product>
restore". On Google, that led to a forum post in which a user complained
bitterly that it was impossible to find information on restoring in the
docs. When I did that search on the docs themselves, the first dozen results
were puff pages that said that you could backup and restore but didn't say
how. The thirteenth or so was the actual restore procedure.

So the problems here are:

1. There were too many puff pieces obscuring useful information

2. None of the statements that said you could restore were linked to the
procedure for doing a restore.

This second point should be elementary for all product documentation in the
hypertext age. You should never, ever, mention a system function or
procedure without linking to that procedure. If every mention of a procedure
linked to the documentation of that procedure, then people looking for that
information in docs or a KB would be able to find it with one click no
matter which topic the search engine returned as the first result.

In the end, help systems, KBs, CMSs, and the plain old web are just
hypertext systems, and no hypertext system works well if the content it
contains is not actual hypertext. (And most of them work pretty much just as
well as another if their content is real hypertext.)

Mark