RE: Interesting Article on Pay and Hiring

Subject: RE: Interesting Article on Pay and Hiring
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: "'Julie Stickler'" <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 20:01:33 -0400

I applied to a company that must have used the same test. It was then
"judged" by someone who had taken a couple of psychology courses (I found
this out later) and was told by the person who would have been my manager
that I "wasn't smart enough to work for that company." Ironically, two years
later, after that company had a significant reduction in workforce, the
person who delivered the "you're too dumb" message was sitting in the
conference room for the technology company where I was Publication's Manager
with her resume, references, and writing samples. Unfortunately, she was
totally software oriented and out systems needed someone with experience in
robotics, hydraulics, pneumatics, electronics, and mechanics. She didn't
make the cut and I told her why, but I never stooped to making a comment
about her intelligence. Her former boss had applied to IBM and ended up
being interviewed by someone who also had been told they weren't smart
enough. The company where I had originally applied is no longer in business
and the company I was contracted to perform as Publications Manager paid
nearly double what the original company had offered. I call it Karma......

Al Geist-Geist Arts
Fine Art Photography
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Writing, Help, Publication Management

"...I walked to work, quit my job, and kept walking. Better to be a pilgrim
without a destination, I figured, than to cross the wrong threshold each
day." (Sy Safransky)