Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 06:38:36 -0700

If the c-suite don't already see and recognize your additional value,
there's not much you can do. Remember the adage show, don't tell? We can
all talk a mean streak. But if you see a need and meet it, then you've
already demonstrated the value and they will be explaining to you
about leveraging your additional capabilities.

This has more to do with your work as an individual than a group of
technical writers.

So I would ask us all to not only list our value-added skills, but create a
challenge-action-results table that shows the impact we have made
throughout our entire life of work and personal projects. This helped me to
realize I am more than my job, and show benefit that others recognize,
rather than try to convince someone I can do something that I recognize as
a need.

-Tony