Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer

Subject: Re: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer
From: Raj Karamchedu <raj -at- rajkaramchedu -dot- com>
To: Jonathan Baker <jbaker2525 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2016 19:34:31 -0700

Steven,

Yes to all that you said, and allow me to add a bit more detail with a
real-life example.

Often it is the case that a VP will find herself in the middle of many
conflicting, strong, opinions; hours and hours are spent in meetings
delving into details of what the business/customer reality "out there" is,
interspersed with the department heads' interpretation of that reality
(powerpoint, spreadsheets, you know the drill.) Obviously this VP can't be
everywhere all the time, so she has to rely on the interpretations of these
department heads. Millions of $ are involved, so by the time discussion
gets to this meeting, everyone already had dug in into their positions
(each thinking they have to be resolute in their opinions and have to
defend what they believe in.) This is what I am referring to by
"attachment." (as Jon and you pointed already below in your comments.) It's
too difficult for the dept. heads to switch their positions because they
haven't mustered up enough arguments beforehand to defend their new
position if they switch: they had only brainstormed various arguments
favoring their own position. See what I mean?

If you are a VP, tasked with making a decision and your information is only
coming from these department heads, and you have to make a decision either
today or latest in two days, and this decision involves approving a
spending of multi-million $, what would you do? As a human being? You have
no problem owning up to your decision, but you want to make the right
decision, not give in to whomever shouts the loudest and whichever
department front-loads the meeting with several party-line members.

Now imagine this above attachment dynamic showing up in practically every
meeting in a company, whether it involves millions of $ or just a new
product creation or whatever. Every meeting gets intense, in the name of
passionate discussion. If I was that VP I'd just get out that meeting,
saunter over to the desk of a "junior-level" sales manager or someone who
has her eyes and ears close to the ground, and attempt for an honest
opinion from them.

Tech writers are naturally suited to this independent mindset by virtue of
our "service provider" function within the organization. Of course methinks
if we take a tech writer and call her a VP of whatever, then she'll
probably be forced to shed that independent mindset :- (

Raj

--
Raj Karamchedu
Sunnyvale, CA