RE: How do you use VMs?

Subject: RE: How do you use VMs?
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 2016 01:48:41 +0000

Thanks, Chris.

I appreciate your honesty. I really needed to hear this, and suspected as much.

It's sort of a solution without a problem, or better yet, a solution that's already being taken care of behind the scenes, as you say.

It just seemed to me that the idea that you could even create a VM had a lot of power in it... but then what the heck are you going to do with it, or why are you going to create it?

Reminds me of why I left math many years ago -- had all these wonderful theorems and beautiful theory but nothing you could do with any of it. The profs would say, "I don't know. You just solve more problems."

There could be the possibility of creating a VM to emulate the medical devices I'm documenting, but from what I gather, it looks like the emulators are just installed on your PC. Might not be any real benefit to isolating it in a VM.

Ah well, could be time to move on from that topic.

It's still intriguing though. One of the few things I've been inspired to look at in a little depth.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Steve