RE: Hyperlink does not work in Word 2013 but does in PDF

Subject: RE: Hyperlink does not work in Word 2013 but does in PDF
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: Cindy Ramirez <cjramirez81 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 17:41:52 +0000

Assuming you're using Ctrl-Click to try to activate the hyperlink in Word.

Try selecting the whole link and hit Ctrl-K, and make sure that the Address field has the actual link you want to go to. The "Text to display" field normally matches, but doesn't always (e.g., might leave out the www. part). Also make sure that you're using http, https, or other as appropriate.

If that doesn't do it, try saving the Word file as HTML and then viewing the source. Might be something funny going on with the way the link is represented in the background. (Should be <a href=[Address URL] etc>[Text to display URL]</a>.)

Hope that helps,

Steve

PS - Is the document that you're pointing to a Word document? Just guessing, but that could be causing an issue when trying to open from within Word.

On Thursday, July 07, 2016 1:43 PM, Cindy Ramirez wrote:

I have an embedded hyperlink in a Word 2013 file that points to a document on a website. I cannot get the embedded hyperlink to open the file, it gives me an error saying " Unable to open http://<URL>. Cannot open the specified file."

But if I take that file and save it as a PDF (from within Word), I can click on the hyperlink and it opens the link just fine.

Any ideas how to get the link to work from within Word? I looked briefly through the archives but did not see anything.

Thanks,
Cindy