Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables

Subject: Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2016 19:04:24 +0000 (UTC)

Since I'm the one who accused UX design of dumbing down, I'd better respond. I don't mean to say that dumbing down NECESSARILY happens, or that the world would be better without designed GUIs. But in my opinion the current trend is toward dumbing down.

Just the change of title, from User Interface to User Experience gives me a problem. At the highest level, if I want an experience I sure don't want it on my computer (phone, etc.). Collapsing everything into images and removing the raw POWER of text is not the right way to go IMO. Without the combinatory power of text, we wouldn't have the technology to support this discussion.Â

GUIs initially presented command frameworks as a language -- nouns, verbs, and modifiers. That was a huge innovation. The visuals give shortcuts, but the interface still supports linguistic combination of terms. IMO, User Experience is in danger of trending away from that kind of combination, and back to lists of independent commands that can be expressed by a tile or some sort of picture. And I'm wondering if this trend isn't driven by shrinking real estate (phones).
Back to tables... I just think tables support rapid (agile?) combination of data points, and hate to lose that. What's the alternative on a phone? Can we support the same level of combination, or must we dumb things down and force users to either know the combinations beforehand, or else risk never discovering them?