RE: HTML5, Phones, and Tables

Subject: RE: HTML5, Phones, and Tables
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'Weissman, Jessica'" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>, "'Chris Despopoulos'" <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 09:06:48 -0400

Well, there is also a case for secondary presentations of data to suit
secondary needs. This is actually a key reasons for adopting a structured
writing approach that captures data as data rather than as a particular
presentation format. You can generate different presentation formats both
for different media and for different user needs.

However, it is also possible to design scheduling widgets to support
secondary needs. Some airline and travel site scheduling aps allow you to
specify flexible dates and will show you a calendar with the cost of the
flight on each day of the month, for those who are looking for the cheapest
day to travel.

For bus schedules, Google maps provides a schedule explorer that lets you
see the same trip forward in time. The beauty of this is that it included
multiple different routings for a particular journey in one display,
something a static time table cannot do.

In other words, there are ways to provide for secondary use cases in a
dynamic application, we simply need to anticipate what those needs are and
design for them.

Mark