RE: Developments in the review cycle

Subject: RE: Developments in the review cycle
From: "Steve Hudson" <sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "'Erika Yanovich'" <ERIKA_y -at- rad -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 23:45:58 +0700

In 'the old model', did people really send the whole manual out for review
to a number of SMEs, or did they send relevant chunks of it out? Personally,
MOST of the time I used chunks, but infrequently it appears that the one SME
is responsible for the entire content. The question then becomes, what is
the relevant chunk size, and I cannot recall a single case where most topics
had a different SME. So, 'manual' is too large a chunk, and 'topic' is too
small. Ye Olde Chapters were reasonably close to the right size for most
properly structured documents.

Regardless of chunk size, media or even if it is documentation, code or
physical product, there is a 'draft/prototype' <==> a 'review/test' cycle
iteratively performed until the measurement of the product is within
tolerance of the specification. I fail to see how this will ever change,
merely that the number of iterations has been drastically reduced through
decades of study of the best practices and the development of methodologies
specifically to address this reduction in cycles, and thus lead time / cost.
IME for documentation the first review can sometimes lead to a substantive
edit, which then requires a second review for signoff which may require a
minor edit requiring no follow-up review. Thus the "Outline (very useful for
managers to then use as a basis for projecting completion dates) -First
draft-Second-draft- Camera ready (produced)" is most certainly still with
us.