Word 2013 is Levitating Inline Graphics Created in Earlier Word Versions

Subject: Word 2013 is Levitating Inline Graphics Created in Earlier Word Versions
From: Kevin Ryan <kevin -dot- ryan -at- systemsandsoftware -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 17:57:26 +0000

Hi, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this: As a supplement to PDF and online help, some of our documents are available to our customers as MS Word documents downloadable from our application.  While updating our Word document set I'm noticing something odd coincident with my recent upgrade from Word 2010 to Word 2013.  I occasionally use inline graphics within sentences for images such as small buttons and arrows, and when I'm editing my existing DOCX files these graphics are now often (though not always) levitated completely above their intended line, obscuring the mild-mannered, unoffending text on the line above.

The following things make the levitation go away:   1) Viewing in Read mode. 2) Saving as DOC format.  3) Inserting the graphic file fresh.

One internet advice source suggested I treat these graphics as if they were fonts, lowering their position using Word's Font format tool.  But this seems ludicrous as it fixes the elevated graphic in DOCX format only to make it LOWERED too much in Read Mode and DOC format.  We actually distribute the documents in DOC format, so that is good.

Thanks if anyone has any tips. Software upgrades are supposed to simplify, not complicate, right?

Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan
Technical Writer

Systems & Software, Inc.