Re: What happened to information architecture and design

Subject: Re: What happened to information architecture and design
From: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2016 15:07:50 -0400

Well, there's always the classic example of the march of Napoleon's Grand
Army to, and from, Russia. It's by Charles Joseph Minard. Minard really
hated Napoleon, so the emperor's name does not appear on the graphic at all.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Minard.png

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Janoff, Steven <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
wrote:

> This is provocative information and I hope that line of thought continues.
>
> At the same time, I want to bring back a parallel thread on the purpose of
> the original post, which was to try to find examples of good or great
> information design and information architecture in perhaps publicly
> available tech comms publications (print, web, mobile, etc.).
>
> I'll bet there are a few infographics out there that are extra-special and
> really encapsulate what fantastic information design/architecture is all
> about -- I haven't seen them yet. I can find a hundred infographics not a
> single one of which seems necessary or even helpful.
>
> What is it about good information design or good information architecture
> that galvanizes you?
>
> To me it's when I see a documentation piece that presents the perfect
> combination of text and images to immediately convey information and
> learning to me, especially in a way that not only do I remember it for days
> or weeks afterward, but it leaves such an impression that I just can't stop
> thinking about how good it is -- and I might continue to be impressed even
> years later.
>
> I guess it's about how the brain works and how it perceives, assimilates,
> and organizes information.
>
> I wish I had an example to link to, of what I'm talking about, but I don't
> have one handy. I posted one a few years back (map of the Internet) but it
> looks very uninspiring now, after everything that's flowed through our
> minds in the past 4 years.
>
> I want to see what's out there that's really good.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> On Tuesday, March 29, 2016 8:14 AM, Mark Baker wrote:
>
> The concept of semantics has generated endless confusion over the years.

> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Lin Sims