RE: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended

Subject: RE: Software Training: Video only -v- Blended
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'TechWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 12:38:22 -0400

The big plus for video is that it engages multiple senses and that it can
show physical actions in a way that is hard to describe in words or even
show in static diagrams. The big minus is that it is linear and has a forced
pace.

These basic properties define the boundaries of its applicability. It works
superlatively for physical processes that do not involve a rewiring of the
reader's view of how processes work or how they apply to business problems.
That is a substantial piece of turf, and it if your entire documentation
problem fits into that turf, video only training is a good choice.

Where the reader is struggling with a concept or when their view of the
world is at odds with the way a product or a process works, the reader's
path through content is typically no linear and self-paced. The linear
forced-pace of video works less well here. And if what you need to
communicate is more abstract rather than physical, video loses its edge over
text.

This should not be a discussion about which is best, therefore, but about
what you are trying to communicate, who your audience is, and where their
heads are now.

I have read the case for video argued many times. Every time it has been
argued in text. I think that speaks volumes. Text is our most flexible, most
universal form of communication. Every other form of communication has a
narrower range of applicability than text. Each can outperform text in its
sweet spot, sometimes by a wide margin. None can replace text across the
board.

If all your communication needs fit into video's sweet spot, then using only
video makes sense. But no one should fall into the trap of assuming that if
video proves more effective than text for one communication task it must be
more effective for all of them.

Text is water. Video is wine. Wine is better than water for some occasions,
but water is the universal beverage.

Mark