Pls remind me: batch .fm file update to new Frame template

Subject: Pls remind me: batch .fm file update to new Frame template
From: Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2016 15:08:39 -0600 (CST)

Hello, all.
It's been a while since I've needed to update very inconsistent legacy
FrameMaker documents to a new template. I vaguely recall this process:
1. Save the entire Frame book to .mif. There's some handy plug-in lets
you do this. Anybody know its name?
2. Open all the .mif files in a tool like Notepad++.
3. Create a mapping table for paragraph tags from old template to new.
Is there a mapping tool I need? I think there is.
4. ??? map page layout commands, variable definitions, character tag
definitions . . . ?? Don't think I ever knew how to do this. I think I
only knew how to map paragraph tags. Maybe character tags, too.
5. Push a button. Shazam! All changes made in all mifs. Save .mifs.
6. Reopen .mifs in Frame and import the new template.
Result: all tags used in text have been updated; all unused tags and
table definitions from old template are removed from the catalogs. Not
sure what happens to formats that were used but never added to a
catalog. ..
Thanks very much for your help. I looked through my email archives
because I knew I'd had really helpful discussions about this before.
But the data elves have been using them for data spitballs, I guess,
because I can't find them.
--Nancy