RE: Need Feedback from Technical Editors

Subject: RE: Need Feedback from Technical Editors
From: Rebecca Officer <Rebecca -dot- Officer -at- alliedtelesis -dot- co -dot- nz>
To: Shelley Thomas <sthomas -at- weber -dot- edu>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 23:53:22 +0000

> Do technical editors still use hard copy for edits? (Is this a personal preference or a department/company policy? For example, personally, I like to see a hardcopy to edit, and then I make my edits electronically.)

I print maybe 1 document in 10. Used to print more but I've gradually got more in the habit of just doing electronic reviews/edits.

> When editing electronically, do you use track changes (such as MS Word)? Do you edit in Adobe products (such as Acrobat Pro)? Do you use iPad applications (such as IAnnotate, Cabinet, or QuickEdit)?

Yes to Track Changes in Word and sometimes OpenOffice. Yes to Acrobat Pro. We author in FrameMaker so most reviews are in Acrobat Pro. No to iPad.

We've also started tentatively using Google Docs for collaborative writing and review. I like it overall.

> How do tablets figure in to your editing?

Not at all.

Cheers
Rebecca