RE: Need Feedback from Technical Editors

Subject: RE: Need Feedback from Technical Editors
From: <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 14:23:31 -0500

That makes a lot of sense to me. Leaning different motions is one thing. Learning a different language is something else altogether. Proofreaderâs marks are an adaptation to the fact that paper is so hard to edit, so they are orthogonal to editing online where it is easy to change the source text (and yet track what has been changed). But that language does become ingrained in us and we naturally reach for it as we are editing â and are frustrated when there is no way to enter it.

I would be interesting to think about how often language learning/forgetting is involved in tech changes, and what the impact of that is on how easily we make the change.

Mark