Re: Editors that support conditionals

Subject: Re: Editors that support conditionals
From: Andrew Harvie <withanie -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 15:45:57 -0400

Thanks all, for the suggestions.

In the end, I went with a combination of the ideas. I wanted to stay
within Word (for compatibility, not for any preference of my own). I also
wanted to keep the number of master files to a minimum. That ruled out
third-party programs, add-ins, extra templates and Excel files. The result
might not be elegant, but I think that it will work for us.

Step 1, I used Dan's suggestion of creating a set of character fonts, one
for each final document. A and B.
2. I applied the fonts to text as appropriate.
3. I created a set of macros that would allow me to see A-Only, B-Only and
A & B. In addition to toggling the Hidden property of the font, the
macros would also set the colour so that A-Only or B-Only would use the
default, but A & B would set each to the selected highlight colour.
4. The final macro was the big one: It does the following:
a) Ensures that both A and B are visible, then saves the current master
document.
b) Selects all the text and copies to clipboard.
c) Opens document-A and document-B, each in its own window.
d) With each window A and B
i. select all, then paste, replacing the old with the new.
ii set the colour of font-A to normal
ii. find text based on style = font-B
iii loop through the find operation, selecting and deleting
iv save.
v repeat for window B, being sure to reverse font-A and font-B in the
code.

--

-- Andrew Harvie