FM (2015) text insets - no track text edits when imported...

Subject: FM (2015) text insets - no track text edits when imported...
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:56:28 -0800

>> Have you tried using text insets for reused content, instead of copy and paste?

> Hmm.. thatâs an idea. But a bit much overhead for something that wonât always be a duplicated chunk. The use case Iâm working with is what Word actually handles quite well: *moving* content. So although the copy/paste thing makes it seem like a text inset is appropriate, itâs actually unnecessary because Iâm deleting the original. But I didnât say that.

> But itâs good to hear (or infer and hope that itâs true) that track changes will show in a text inset because Iâm using text insets for lots of things, and lots will be edited for this release.
Bummer. I just tried using a text inset that has tracked changes showing. But whether I import it by reference or by copy, the result is the same: the track text edits do not show. That is, itâs the same result as just copy/pasting regular text within the FrameMaker .fm file. I believe that Iâve tried all the possible options for âFormatting of Imported Flowâ, and none result in getting the tracked changes to show up in the file into which the inset is imported.
The FrameMaker help doesnât seem to address the possibility of tracked edits in text insets, in any fashion that I could see. (Iâve looked in detail at the sections for track text edits and for text insets, and it seems like theyâre totally independent things.)
Thatâs quite a pity, and Iâd be pleased to hear any suggestions for workarounds or other options that would get me to where I want: easily showing, in multiple docs, the revisions to a topic thatâs shared among multiple docs. (Iâm using unstructured, so perhaps the Structured version would help. But Iâve certainly no time to deal with converting things to DITA/structured now.)
-Monique