Re: Chapter first page always recto?

Subject: Re: Chapter first page always recto?
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2015 14:10:12 -0500

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 13:48:56 -0500, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net> wrote:

Have any of you dispensed with having every chapter start on the recto page?
I've seen a few recent books that start recto or verso, whichever.
My thinking is, for every "Get rid of this blank page!!!" comment from
in-house reviewers, there's probably an equal number of users who are
also puzzled. Since we no longer ship printed books, and I doubt most
customers print our pdfs, people are mostly seeing them on line and are probably wondering why those pages are blank.
Has anyone taken the plunge?

At one time printed manuals were generally updated by sending out update packages that might have individual double-sided pages, but more often would have updated full chapters (or sometimes entirely new chapters), all to be placed into three-ring binders. A verso start would play havoc with that scheme.

At any customer or user site where the manuals were actually important, some very tidy person would frequently be in charge of ensuring that all copies of every manual were up to date. There might be battles over what should be done with "old" pages that contained users' handwritten notes.

Additionally, it was common to number pages with a chapter number (4-1, 4-2, 4-3) to avoid difficulties in replacing a short chapter with a longer one.

With the exception of a few markets (perhaps the military) those days are gone. No need to force a recto start anymore.