RE: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell

Subject: RE: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell
From: "Margaret Cekis" <margaret -dot- cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Lin Sims'" <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>, "'Gene Kim-Eng'" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 21:59:44 -0400

When People ask me how I got into technical writing, I tell them I was
invited.
I started as an architectural major, which had a schedule with 9-5 drawing
classes on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, so it was impossible to schedule any
classes outside my major, and a 5-year apprenticeship required after
graduation from the 5-year program before I could apply for a professional
license. I'd essentially be a glorified draftsman (this was before CAD) for
someone else until I attained a license. As a woman, who might want to get
married and have kids, I decided that I should change majors to something
with more flexibility, both while I was in college, and afterward. I
switched my major to math to study computers (before there were computer
science majors), and took, math, science, and a couple of writing courses.
At the end of my sophomore year, one the English professors, who I'd taken a
class from, called me and invited me to be the first degree candidate in the
new Scientific Writing program that he was setting up. I accepted, earned my
BS SW, and never looked. back.
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA