Re: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell

Subject: Re: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell
From: Ryan Young <ryangyoung -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 16:12:28 -0700

Thomas Pynchon also started as a technical writer, at Boeing, possibly
working on the Minuteman missile:
http://www.vulture.com/2013/08/thomas-pynchon-bleeding-edge.html

It seems like he never intended to stick with it as a career, though:

One colleague remembered Pynchon as ornery and solitary on the job. But he
> managed to turn in V. eighteen months after signing the contract, meeting
> his own arbitrary deadline on the nose. After a few months of intense
> editing by mail, he used the $1,000 to quit his job at Boeing, vowing never
> to work for a corporation again. He called it his âescape money,â and he
> wanted to make it lastâby running again, this time to Mexico.

I've also read an account of him hiding under a sheaf of blue prints while
at Boeing, though that might be apocryphal.