Re: most effective method for SME review?

Subject: Re: most effective method for SME review?
From: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Tom Johnson <tomjohnson1492 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 09:59:43 -0500

Most of the time, the only way I can get SMEs to review something at all is
to personally snag them in the hall and ask for the review face to face.
It's too easy for people who think they are already too busy to ignore any
form of electronic communication. Once they've talked about it with me they
take doing the review a little more personally, so that makes it more
likely they'll actually do it. It's harder to tell me to my face that they
will do it and then not, than it is to program Outlook to send everything
from me directly to the trash bin.

I have found a lot of people really like doing reviews by using the change
tracking feature in Word - once they know how to deal with it. Almost every
place I've ever worked, I find I'm the only person there who does, and I
have to circulate a paper on how to turn on and read tracked changes. That
sort of makes sense, because most other people use Word only at the most
superficial level. Once they know how to start and save a document, they
ignore most everything else. Again, a matter of being busy with other
concerns. And what the heck, being the only person in the office who
actually understands how to correctly format a document is how I get jobs.

"Munges"?