PPT training materials, pdf output (with inter pdf/ppt project hyperlinks) --what is the best tool?

Subject: PPT training materials, pdf output (with inter pdf/ppt project hyperlinks) --what is the best tool?
From: Reid Gray <reach -dot- reid -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2015 12:35:56 -0400

Hi,

We create internal and partner technical content that is heavy with
diagrams and other visuals. After a developmental edit or two, the
information architecture has panned out nicely, but the current tools cause
limitations.

The content needs to be accessible to users on linux, mac, and windows
platforms and must be easily browsed/navigated by business types,
architects, and leads. Hence the 'ask' for powerpoint slides...

Currently, we are using pdfs sourced from many ppt files we create. The ppt
source files effectively comprise a tree of functional groups where a
critical use case is the ability to jump from the middle of one
presentation to the middle of another presentation (this is especially
useful for creating deeper layers for the more technically focused users).

But...this sort of ppt interlinking does not work once the ppt is published
to pdf. So, we need a scalable method to add string IDs to our ppt files
that will be treated as "named destinations" in our pdf output --and, the
output needs to work with the majority (or all) of the typically used pdf
viewers (evince, foxit, adobe...).

There seems to be some acrobat tools and various plugins out there that
might help us, but, before we commit to a tool, I'd prefer to hear the
experiences of fellow writers, IAs, and others on their current approach.

What do you think?

Reid
Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW