Re: "Software Technical Writing is a Dying Career"

Subject: Re: "Software Technical Writing is a Dying Career"
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Simon North <simonxml -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2015 19:32:10 -0700

Simon, to me, your story is an encouraging one. I joined a company that
develops a number of products, so our writing team is distributed globally.
I am the only writer in my location, and my role is to develop materials
for end user consumption: wiki pages, videos, interactive graphics, and
anything else I can think of.

However, since the product my team builds is relatively intuitive, I am
pushing to break further into developing user centric requirements and
testing against them. My idea is that if I design even a temporary feature
to behave the way users expect, then we won't need a lot of end user
documentation about the feature. I can spend more one showing users how we
solve key problems.

In my opinion this would scale better than trying to excuse poorly designed
features.

-Tony

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW