Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?

Subject: Re: Ask for a raise? Or pack my bags?
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2015 21:09:36 -0400

You are right, Mike. I forget that since I have been doing this for so
long, I can weather 6 months off without an issue. Part of my "prepare to
walk out" is reactivating the resume everywhere and getting the job calls
coming in. I will also move to a job in most places as needed, but then,
that is the nature of contracting. However, not everyone is in that same
situation. Permanent jobs, not willing/able to move, and other commitments
can put a lot of pressure on people and make it harder to get that next job.

That is why I always recommend to people to get 2 or 3 months of living
expenses saved as soon as possible. And then build that to 6 months as soon
as you can without starving. This isn't your regular savings, which you also
need, this is just the pad you need for times between jobs. It is hard to do
that for most people, especially in today's economic climate.

Luckily, I had some great mentors in this field beat that into my head long
ago, and I found out, they were actually quite smart.

Edit:

What was I thinking. While clearing out old email, I ran across this:

22789 Vacancies Open in UAE Dubai

If you can't find a job if they don't give you a raise, there is always the "visit exotic and foreign lands" type jobs.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Starr" <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>