Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions

Subject: Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions
From: Craig Lashley <clashley -at- mail -dot- usf -dot- edu>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:04:59 -0400

Thanks for all the replies. I have four years military experience from
being in the Submarine force, and about 5 years telecommunications
manufacturing experience as a production worker. So I have worked a lot
with work/test procedures and operating manuals. I have a fairly good
amount of hands on technical experience. The military was all mechanical
work making repairs and maintaining the ships weapons systems. At the
manufacturing job it was mainly testing electrical circuit boards, and
troubleshooting/repair. Both those jobs required an understanding of
interpreting schematics.

I am graduating college somewhat later in life than most people in my
class. I would like to work in some type of manufacturing industry in the
technical writing field. I'm not too interested in freelance work, but for
experience I would definitely take it on. Where to start with that is
something that I am unsure of as well.

I am reading a lot about Word vs. Frame Maker. I thought I was pretty
knowledgeable in Word until I watched a friend that uses it professionally
help type up my resume a few years back. That made me realize I still have
a lot to learn. It's one thing to do a school project and another to
actually use any program on a daily basis professionally. I am not
currently working so I can focus solely on finishing this degree. I will be
required to do an internship my last semester, and I am hoping that will
open some doors. Since I do have the privilege of temporarily not having to
work, I want to make sure I am using my time wisely and to my advantage of
learning all I can. Luckily, my school has pretty much every piece of adobe
software on their library computers so I can mess around with them for free
at least for almost another year. I'm currently working at improving my
grammar skills, and will be taking a course in the Fall to help with that.
I'll have to read through these responses a few more times. There is a lot
of good information here. Thanks.