Advice on Developing a SMART Goal Tracking Template

Subject: Advice on Developing a SMART Goal Tracking Template
From: Jill Gallagher <jill -dot- gallagher -at- outlook -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 11:55:29 -0700

My company is rolling out a SMART goals process, requiring everyone to develop their own series of goals to meet both business and career development objectives. Each employee needs to maintain a personal document to record progress and outcomes and review this document with a supervisor on a quarterly basis.
I was a guinea pig when they conducted a test run with a few employees.
The personal tracking template that someone here created in Word is pretty horrible and unwieldy so I volunteered to create a brand new one.
The current table entries looked like this (without the table borders, which was annoying):
FY14 Q1Business GoalsGOAL 1Objective: Success Criteria: Complete by Date: Dependency: Goal Results:
Several tables exist for each quarter to allow us to record our goal projections for future quarters.
We ended up with a Word document full of pages to scroll through with separate (invisible) tables for FY14 Q1, FY14 Q2, etc.
My question is, should this template be created in Word using tables (with borders) or possibly Excel to neatly leverage the separate worksheets per quarter?
We need to use this template as handy tool to record changes and outcomes (but we don't need to use the Track Changes feature). I want the template to be easy to use to encourage everyone to embrace the SMART goals process.
Is this a case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" I think it's broken.
Thanks,
Jill GallagherTechnical Writer

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW