Re: "The World of Technical Communication and Writing"

Subject: Re: "The World of Technical Communication and Writing"
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Dan Goldstein <DGoldstein -at- nuot -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 12:17:41 -0700

And what they all have in common is that they produce new grads who are in for a big surprise when they get out into the real world.

One of my strongest recollections of my college years was the message from my engineering course instructors (many of whom had actually worked AS engineers before becoming educators) that they were not preparing us to be engineers when we graduated, they were preparing us to LEARN how to be engineers when we graduated and got our first jobs in the real world. I wonder how many of today's students are being told that.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 6/25/2015 12:07 PM, Dan Goldstein wrote:

Also, there are (or used to be) academic departments named Communications that are unrelated to technical writing. Some of these are for communication studies (theories about how people communicate verbally and nonverbally), electronic communications (broadcast media and Internet), etc.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW